Tata Crucible Corporate Edition 2014 – Coimbatore – Preliminary Round Questions
Chennai Silks – Arul Sarvanan and Yogesh Pai
- RUNNER UP:
Brookefields – Balasubramaniam and Ashwin Balasubramaniam
Preliminary Round Questions:
1. What is this 2.6 million sq.ft. building in US, that failed to attract enough tenants during the great depression, was bought by Lawrence Wein and Harry Helmsley in 1961?
A. Empire State Building
2. In Arabic, the literal translation of this corporate tycoon’s first name is Defender. His surname stands for Love. Who is this IT baron from India?
A. Azim Premji
3. Some predictions suggest the amount of oil present here could be 200 billion barrels, far more than Kuwait or Abudhabi. Though it is extremely difficult and at the moment, prohibitively expensive to extract oil here but its important to predict what the global economy will look like in 2048, when the protocol banning exploration comes up for renewal. Where?
4. Which brand would you associate with the book, ‘The Hippie Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder & Other Mountains’?
5. In the 1850’s what was Cuba’s largest expo which helped Don Facundo Bacardi to build his empire in the country?
6. Which stronger than steel fiber invented in 1965 by DuPont’s only female employee to be awarded the company’s Lavoisier Medal for outstanding technical achievement, was initially intended to be used in automobile industries?
7. This was the first commissioned sponsored program in the history of Indian television and increase in the sale of maggi noodles. What was re-telecast on the national channel after a decade long gap sponsored by P&G and trimmed down to 52 from its original 159 episodes as it could no longer recreate the earlier magic?
8.Identify a famous person from this picture of a mechanical calculator.
A. Blaise Pascal
9. Rufus Skeel owned a small shop in providence, Rhode Island that sold cloth. Mr. Skeel ‘s daughter painted images of apples and applied them to the bolts of cloth. What was this an inspiration for?
A. Fruit of the Loom
10. The Gunn Report and Show Reel of the year authored by Donald Gunn and Emma Wilkie is an annual publication identifying and detailing the awarded new work within the advertising industry. Which famous South Asian was the Guest Editor in 2012?
A. Prasoon Joshi
11. What two words were used by media to describe the Union budget of India for year 97-98 presented on February 28 1997, by finance minister P. Chidambaram, with features such as lowering income tax rates, removal of surcharge on corporate tax and reduction in corporate tax rates?
A. Dream Budget
12. Who is this famous person on the banknote of Portugal?
A. Vasco da Gama
13. What champagne house that has used the James Bond film series as a marketing device was founded in 1829 by Hennequin De Villermont and Paul Reaudin?
14. What annual event which followed a brick and mortar pattern before 2009 was effected by two viruses ‘Conflicer’ and ‘W32 Nimda’?
A. CAT Entrance Exam
15. This company along with engineering company Agrotec, has collaborated with Italian space agency to introduce Isspresso, the first capsule based espresso system able to work in the extreme conditions of space?
15. Identify this inventor.
16. Complete this quote by Henry Ford: “Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, working together is ___________”
17. It was locally manufactured in India only since 1958, though it was imported to India since the early 1900’s. Amitabh Bachchan endorsed it on radio in the 1970’s. Which health food drink brand?
18. Which famous man is being caricatured here?
A. J.P. Morgan
20. Cindy Crawford dressed as which famous person from world history?
Questions contributed by Ms. Anuradha Pai Ma’am!